Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Backup! Backup! Backup!

A lesson I learned (again) about having a second copy of family records: BACKUP EVERYTHING IMPORTANT.

After recording on a computer program some family names on a pedigree chart that extended back some 7, 8, or 9 generations (and some lines went even further back), I somehow lost the entire file! I think it got deleted accidentally while trying to download and save some other files from the internet. I had been compiling information from old family records onto one master pedigree chart, and had really been making some fantastic progress; in fact, I was getting close to finishing!

I do have a hard copy (pedigree charts and family group sheets I copied as I filled them out, and put in a notebook), but now I have to start all over with the computer program. I should have copied it onto a flash drive, but didn't. A few months ago, I tried to burn a CD with all the information, but the file was too big to put on the CD, so I just forgot about it.

Good thing I had this notebook with all the family group sheets and pedigree charts in it! Now, the daunting task of re-entering the information onto the computer program again!

Lesson for the day: BACKUP ALL COMPUTER PROGRAM FAMILY FILES!!!!

No comments: